Sep 20, 2010

Fall's finest at a Carolina farm

We spent yesterday out at Grandma Hallie (husbands grandma) 's farm. The day consisted of homemade cookin', a long walk to the pond, outdoor games with nieces & nephews and long talks under a big water oak shade tree. The summer has given way to autumn. The garden is still producing tomatoes, peppers, okra, green beans and the fruit trees are hanging low with the weight of green and red apples.

Let me take a minute to go back to the 'homemade cookin' part. I can't tell this without explaining how many made-from-scratch dishes come from the hands of this 90 year old woman. Most of these dishes can be found every single Sunday, but I'm not giving away the address or else everyone would want to come :)  There's biscuits, creamed potatoes, squash and onion casserole, creamed corn, green beans, pickled beats, stewed tomatoes, fried chicken, meatloaf, gizzards & livers, butter beans, pinto beans, homemade applesauce, chocolate pie, banana pudding .... mixed in with other family favorites. Did you get full just thinking of it all? I did.

It's such a simple life during our Sunday visits with family, but no one would trade it for the world. I took some time to gather up garden goodies and some of mother nature's bounty. Along with homegrown veggies, I also brought home acorns, pine cones, and other various nuts that fell to the ground. No worries, I left plenty for the squirrels :)  I plan on using my seasonal findings for vase fillers and to add to my fall decor that I've been working on. Pics to come later.

For now, here are some photos that capture the awesomeness of Grandma's farm.

No comments: