Jul 14, 2010

I'm so indecisive!

When it comes to planning parties I can be so indecisive when it comes to a menu. There are far too many cool and new recipes out there that I want to try. But to narrow it down so that it doesn't look like I'm feeding an army ... it's kind of sad widdling down. In the end, the more complex I make it, I know it'll just be more stress on myself that day. I need to stick to simple to prepare, good mix of the food chain, crowd pleasers and foods that won't kill my budget.

This weekend we're having our yearly Corn hole BBQ party; this is the 4th year I believe. This is sort of Michael's yearly birthday party, along with his buddy Drue who's birthday is the same week. The main dish each year is catered BBQ. That way no one has to man a grill. And I don't have slave away. It takes a big load off my shoulders just to buy it. So here are my staples for my menu, then below that are my undecided items. I won't make all of them. Feel free to cast your vote or suggest new things :) I'm trying not to do any appetizers because our guests tend to bring them to share anyways. Less work for me!

Staples:
BBQ pork sliders (I'm doing mini versions this year)
Cole slaw

Undecided on (way too many salads!):
 - potato salad - I'd like to do this healthy version. it's good; I've had it before - http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/scb-sides-00400000028195/page11.html
- corn on the cob
- baked beans
- melon fruit salad
- couscous tabbouleh with avocado - http://jkmassonrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/06/couscous-tabouleh-with-avocado.html
- homemade mac n' cheese
- Okra side dish - my friend Logan makes some good ones, like this - http://loganandmattsullivan.blogspot.com/2010/07/july-southern-living-treat.html
- pasta salad - this one looks nice.
- fiesta rice salad - gotta have something from the Mexican food group! - http://family.go.com/food/recipe-an-881517-fiesta-rice-salad-t/
- broccoli salad - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/broccoli-salad-recipe/index.html

And after all that .... WHAT'S FOR DESSERT?!?! It has to involve chocolate and I want to use my cake stand. Those are my only requirements.







3 comments:

Amy said...

yum! my husband and i just had my parents over for a bbq and we bought frozen slider patties, buns, pickles, cheese, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, and mustard and everyone could put their own together. then we did baked beans (just heat up) and fruit salad and my mom brought a strawberry cake for dessert. we also had some chips and salsa to start.

Shannan Martin said...

That potato salad looks Delish!! All of it does, to be honest... Have a great time!

The Sullivan's said...

YUMMY, So what did you decide to mak. Sorry we missed it, but I know you had a great time!